Sunday, May 31, 2020

New seat from Russell Day-Long Seats

I have done quite a bit work with my seat comfort. The original seat of the facelift LT was just terrible for my behind. I got the "monkey butt" syndrome in less than 100 miles ride. BMW factory had listened their short legged customers and modified the seat narrower and also somewhat lower than in the -99-2003 models.

The first custom seat I had a chance to test was the Kontour seat which my LT colleague from Germany kindly sent me to try out. This seat was better than the original one but then I heard about the Russell Day-Long seats and figured that was the kind I needed. 
Russell needed a seat from the client to work with and they were located in California and I was in Finland. Sending seats back and forth over the Atlantic would have added the costs too much and luckily in autumn of 2005 I found on the classifieds of the BMWLT.com an early model seat set being for sale in Florida. I purchased the seats from this guy and he mailed both seats and the passenger backrest to Russell in California. I only had to mail my BakUp backrest from Finland for getting a matching upholstery.



This was the seat design (picture taken from https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/) that I chose for my bike. Russell was kind enough to send me their leather samples to choose from.

Before proceeding with the seat modifications Russell needed pictures of me sitting in riding position...

...and reaching my feet down. And also my measurements (height, inseam, weight.)


The seats arrived in the beginning of 2006 and they looked quite much different than my original seats...
...plus they were made in the frame of the earlier model LT which ment some extra work in fitting the seat in the newer model bike. 
One difference was the height adjustment bar. The new model seat is in the picture and the old model height adjuster is different. Also the seat base in the old model seat is thicker and thus occupies more space which was needed for the new model seat that was intended to sit lower.
 So in order to be able to fit the old model seat with thicker base, I needed to make more space under it. I extended the seat support. But now after 15 years I have a blackout...I don't remember how I solved the manual height adjustment. Judging from the old picture's dates I come to the conclusion that I never really solved it but I started designing the motorized height adjustment in the same winter 2005-2006. But this is another story... 
I decided to extend the seat support by some 20-25 mm

Here is the extended seat support from another angle.




No comments:

Post a Comment