Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Brackets for fog and driving lights

I started adding some additional lights on my LT already on the first year as I rode the bike on my work trips late in the autumn in all kinds of weather. Back in 2004 Hella Micro FF halogen lights were the easiest choice. They were small and relatively powerful. Today LED lights would be the only choice.
The fog light brackets were simple. 

I removed the subframe that holds the side bumpers.


I welded a 20 mm wide and 3 mm thick flat steel as that was the only one I had available... 

And this is too thin without a vertical reinforcement. 

Here is the finished setup. I needed to use Dremel for grinding some plastic off from the chrome trim pieces that mount between the upper and lower side panels.

 Today I have the LED daylight running lights fastened on the same bracket.
On the left side there is also a RAM ball for a Go-Pro camera placement.
For the original driving light brackets back in 2004 I used the same 20 x 3 mm flat steel which I welded on the steel frame pieces that are on both sides of the nose cone tupperware.




The tricky part was to get the horizontal pieces actually horizontal and I had to weld them simultaneously when they were stuck through the openings which had to be done carefully in order not to burn the plastic!

And the bracket must come through the nose cone so a Dremel is used to make the opening. 


These driving light brackets worked ok for 12 years until on one of my trips I had an incident and I went too close to a conrete telephone pole in Poland and it stripped my right side driving light ( and mirror as well) off.
To reproduce the original type of bracket was too much work so I made the right side bracket as I should have done it the first place. I used the same 20 x 3 mm flat steel but instead of welding I bolted it on the subframe.

This type of bracket will not quite fit through the seam between the mirror and front fairing so I needed to use Dremel to cut a little plastic off.


The end result is quite clean, though. So I recommend using the "bolt-on" technique rather than welding.


No comments:

Post a Comment