Saturday, May 30, 2020

Adding switches

I started my switch project the easiest and most obvious way. I purchased the so called "Phoenix switch" which is originally made for the R1200 CL Phoenix model. This set of two switches bolts right on the right handlebar of the LT and if you don't need more this works fine.
The original Phoenix switch is the one below. The one above is my modification when I needed more switches.
DISCLAIMER: All of the switches presented in this text and pictures command a relay and thus they all operate on low amps only. The original BMW Phoenix switches can (to my knowledge) command also directly lights or other higher amp devices, but in my bike all the small extra switches steer either a relay only or in some cases direct current to some low amp leds or similar.

On my right side handlebar the switch set looks like this. The original BMW heavier switches are gone in both of these Phoenix sets. The one on the right side has the HeatTroller rheostat potentiometers mounted on the top and indicator leds in the front. The right one commands the grip heat and the left one riders seat heating.

This is how the package looks from behind. A lot of cables which are luckily thin. There is no way to pull heavier gauge cabling to these switches.

And here is how the two Phoenix switch housings are literally bolted together. There is only one "official" place for a single Phoenix housing so the second one has to be bolted on the side of the first one. 

Also the rear cover (base plate) of the second switch needs to be modified as the cover will be visible.
I simply filled the back side of rear cover with putty, sanded it smooth and painted black and now the back side of the second Phoenix switch is straight and smooth.

While I was at it I also added two switches in the OEM right side handlebar cover.

It was tight but there was enough space for these two.

And this is what the right side switch setup looks today after some 14 years and close to 200000 km. These automotive mini rocker switches are not originally made for bike use but they have worked Ok in my bike. They get wet during rain and sometimes when I wash the bike, but of course I never use pressure washer. And I add some electronics spray in the switches every now and then. 

On the left side the original switch is also doubled. The new one is from the older model LT and the four way ex-radio switch commands my seat height (up-down) and my backrest position (left-right). The lonely push button is for activating all my add-on electrical systems.















No comments:

Post a Comment