Wednesday, July 29, 2020

HID (Xenon) ballast installation

When surfing on the BMWLT.com back in the 2005 or so I learned that the HID conversion was the way to go if you wanted more light power on the road. The facelift LT had somewhat better lights than the earlier "charcoal in the bottle" models but I decided to get the HID Xenon's to my LT.
Looks like I only took two pictures of my ballast installation...Today's Xenon ballasts are more compact in size than my early models. There was a proper shelf on top of the headlight which needed some leveling with the help of a plastic plate that I had laying around. The modern ballasts might fit on the shelf even without any extension needed.
For powering the ballasts I chose the option of using my new fuse block, relays and cabling. I have separate switch for the low beam that cuts the pilot current taken from the factory low beam wire. The high beam pilot current goes directly from the factory wire to my mini relay so the bike's original high beam switch works normally.
I could have used the bike's original low and high beam wires to feed the ballasts but those wires look quite thin so I decided to use my own new heavier cables for feeding the power to the new HIDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment