Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Indicator light for the open trunk latch

OK guys...this farkle was born as a result of a very long winter back in 2007-2008 when I was a bit short of any better modification ideas. In fact I found quite good justification to this from previous summer when I was riding home from my summer cottage. There is a stretch of about 10 km unpaved dirt road to our cottage and and when I arrived home I could not find my glasses. I remembered putting them in the trunk but at home I realized the trunk latch was open. But to my luck right at the same moment I got a phone call from my two builders whom I was meeting at the cottage. These two guys drove some 15 minutes behind me and they spotted eyeglasses (in a box luckily) in the middle of the dirt road and picked them up. My glasses! They had fallen out from my unlocked trunk in the bumpy road...

The general idea of this was simple: I needed to add a micro switch in the trunk latch mechanism and run a 12 V through the switch all the way to the dash to a led indicator light. I happened to have plenty of free wires in one of my old printer cables that I had pulled under the gas tank from front to rear. You can see more details about this at the middle of the article  https://mygoodoldlt.blogspot.com/2020/07/how-all-farkles-were-wired.html

This video shows the red blinking led on the right side my dash. The led is blinking type itself




Here is trunk lock mechanism that has a moving part which I found perfect for the micro switch mounting.

And this is the micro switch I used. Quite often these switches have one normally open and one normally closed connection. In this case I used the normally closed circuit of the micro switch. 

Here one wire brings the (switched)  +12V to the switch and when the switch is in "normal" position, the power goes through the switch poles further to the other wire that takes it all the way to my led in the dash. The ground wire for the led is located in the dash so the grounding was taken care of "locally".


I added some masking tape in the lock mechanism to make the marking of the needed holes easier.

Here I was positioning the micro switch. The idea is that the moving part of the lock will touch the micro switch "arm" and thus make the switch do it's thing. In this case the "thing" is to disconnect the power going through the switch when the trunk lock mechanism is closed. When the trunk is open the +12 V runs through the switch and keeps my led blinking. At this point I want to clarify that the +12V is taken from behind my main auxiliary relay and not directly from the battery. This way the indicator led is not blinking when the bike is parked in my garage with the trunk lid open. 

I used 3 mm screws to fasten the micro switch. Here I was cutting them to correct length.


Like this...



Here testing the ready installed switch. I covered/protected the empty poles of the switch with shrink tube.

The two lead cable I took through the same grommet that is used for the central lock solenoid.

Here the new green cable is already through the first grommet in the little left side compartment of the trunk. As you can see this compartment is already pretty occupied with other things. The two green things with blue shrink tubes are Heat-Troller potentiometers for the pillion's heated pants and jacket. One of the switches with red shrink tube is for the pillion's own Baehr Basic. She can listen to her own music and have her own phone conversations by switching off from the bike's main Baehr Ultima Intercom. And the black thing behind the switches is the back side of the 5-pin DIN connector in which pillion connects her helmet cable. So I'm pretty "old school" as far as the intercom is concerned...


Since the trunk must occasionally be taken off, these cables need a quick connector. Here I was bringing the connector cables for my new trunk lid indicator cables through the last VERY tight and occupied last grommet.

The connector that I used happened to have four pins and cables and for this project I only needed two. Here I made the connection of my green cables to the yellow and red cables of my connector. The white and black cables are spare for future use.

This shows the connector. The yellow and red cables of the right side connector were used and the black and white were saved. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment